Monday, May 2, 2011

Potato Soup

A few times a month I try to come up with a meal based on the random ingredients left in the pantry and freezer. The other night I just happened to have what I needed for a pot of potato/corn and broccoli chowder. As thrown together as it was, it was delicious and satisfying!!

3 Tbl chopped onion
2 pieces of bacon (All that I had on hand!)
1 Tbl flour
2 cans low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup of milk or half and half
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 cup corn kernels (I used frozen, but fresh would be even better!)
2 individual servings of Green Giant Broccoli and Cheese
3/4 cup of cheese (I used a combination of cheddar, mozzarella and italian cheeses)
1 Tbl dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry bacon in soup pot until crispy. Remove and discard or chop and use for garnish. Saute onions in bacon drippings. Sprinkle flour over onions, coating fully. Saute a few more minutes, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth. Add potatoes, and enough water to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil. After about 10 minutes, add corn and broccoli. Simmer about 15 more minutes, until potatoes are tender. Remove 1 cup of potato pieces, mash, and return to pot. Add milk, parsley, cheese, salt and pepper. Simmer about 10 minutes (don't boil!).

**If you don't have the broccoli/cheese cups, just use frozen or fresh broccoli, and a little more grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment