Monday, April 4, 2011

Mom's Ham Vegetable Soup

I made this tonight, and was reminded why I loved this soup so much growing up! Thanks mom!

1 Ham Bone (or ham hock)
2 cans of Chicken Broth, fat free, low sodium
4 cups of water
2 cups of baby lima beans (frozen)
1 can of white northern beans
1/4 cup of onions
2 cups of okra (frozen)
3 ears of fresh sweet corn, kernals and juices only
2 cups of cut green beans (frozen)
2 red potatoes, washed and diced
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 slices of bacon, (optional)
3 small pieces of ham, cut into small pieces
1 Tbl parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste

Saute onions with bacon, until onions are translucent. Add water, chicken broth, and ham hock to the onions and bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30minutes. Add vegetables, ham, and a small amount of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover, and allow to cook for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are done, but not mushy.

This recipe is great for using leftover ham at the holidays. If you don't have a ham bone, you can find a ham hock and small slices of ham in the refrigerator section at your grocer. I only had a small ham hock in my freezer tonight, which is why I chose to also use a little bacon, to enhance the flavor. Serve with a crunchy corn bread (cooked southern style!)! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment