We spent the day with Jason’s Grandmother in Stephenville. We picked up Sonic and enjoyed eating lunch with her. She was so sweet to have us a coconut cake from the bakery down the street, and gave us an apple pie to take home with us (she certainly knows about Jason’s sweet tooth condition!). The highlight of our day was showing her our wedding video on Jason’s laptop. She put in our headphones so she could hear it better, and laughed and smiled and listened to the entire thing. It was so sweet to watch her enjoy our day, since she couldn’t be there to witness it in person.
Jason and I went to the front yard to pick some pecans…well, actually pick UP pecans. As far as I can remember, this was my first time. I had no idea that the nuts fell to the ground, then you gathered them with these long metal poles with wire baskets on the end. We picked up bags and bags.
When we got home, Jason pulled out his “pecan shelling kit” and sat on the couch and shelled tons of pecans. I was so tickled – I just found it funny because it reminded me of my granddad. I’ve always seen old men shelling nuts, especially around the holidays, and it was funny to know it was MY husband shelling nuts while we watched the game. Well, laugh if you will, but now we have bags and bags of fresh pecans in our freezer, ready for that pecan pie!!
**This weekend turned out to be an exceptionally sweet visit, as the next weekend Jason’s grandmother had a stroke, then went on to be with the Lord a few days later. We will always treasure the time we spent with her on that Saturday, and be so thankful we had that time together.
No comments:
Post a Comment