Back in Florida, when we lived in the corner house on Haslett, I was really scared of our garage. Actually, I was scared of most garages, storage rooms, carports. There is something about old stuff that attracts dust, dirt, and worst of all, critters. Okay, so maybe I was more afraid of the CRITTERS, than the actual GARAGE. But nonetheless, I hated going out there, especially at night. However, inevitably mom or dad would send me out there to fetch some random item, and while I’m sure I complained, I was just a little too prideful to admit defeat. So I would give myself a pep talk on the back patio, visualize the item and it’s location in my mind, and then run as fast as I could, grab the item, run back up the steps slam the door behind me and run back inside before any of those critters even knew I was there. Phew. My heart is racing just thinking about it!!
Well, one day my during my senior year, I had one of those “terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days.” Nothing tragic happened, but every little thing that could go wrong, did, including being locked out of my house when I got home that afternoon from school, and almost stepping on a snake in my backyard. In my venture to find a way in, I had to go through the scary garage to see if a door was unlocked, or at the very least, if I could find a tool to help me break into my own house.
On this day, I tried something I never had before. The song “Tis so Sweet,” came to my mind, and as I sang those words, “Jesus Jesus how I trust him! How I’ve proved him o’er and o’er!” I found myself conquering this fear. Even though I didn’t necessarily LIKE being in the garage, I wasn’t fearful anymore. I was able to chill out, think rationally, and find a way inside.
Silly story, I know, but I can’t tell you how that simple lesson has changed my life. Since that day, I have faced some big fears – all of which much greater than a dark garage. And each time, I sing these words:
’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”
Refrain:Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
Refrain:Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!
Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!
Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace.
I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that Thou art with me,
Wilt be with me to the end.
I know that no matter the fear – God is always bigger - because he has proven himself faithful “over and over” in my life. I am so glad that I learned to trust him in a silly little garage, so that when I encounter my really big fears, I can take a deep breath, and just rest in the grace he gives me to trust him even more.
No comments:
Post a Comment