Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Grieving With Hope

A life well lived.
A life that impacted and changed others.
A life that loved.
A life that was loved.

I process things by writing, and obviously this week we have a lot to process with Simeon’s passing. But while I feel the need to write, where in the world do you start? Random memories keep flooding my mind. Like the times he threatened to “body slam” the boys if they messed with us girls, and the time in Panama City that he actually went through with it. Or the DiscipleNow that he and Beth let all of us 10th graders spend the night at their house. I remember the numerous times he sang “Happy Birthday” and other various tunes in Angelo’s, at the top of his voice. My granddad gritted his teeth the first time Simeon belted out a song, but when he realized the customers loved it, Simeon won my granddad over.

That’s the thing about Simeon: you couldn’t help but love him. Because you knew he loved you. You never wanted to cross him – not because of fear, but out of love. As teenagers we were terrified of him; but loved him dearly. As I’ve read the entries in the guest book online this week, I’ve realized a devastating fact: I was not, in fact, his favorite! He had a way of making everyone feel like they were his favorite. What a great legacy to leave.

Simeon taught me to love; love people, love Jesus, love the church, love ministry and to love myself. He pushed, and expected great things from everyone. He saw potential, and fostered that. I watched some of the services online this morning from Bell Shoals, and what struck me was how many young people he had on stage with him. He ALWAYS treated teenagers as vital members of the church, and we never felt less than any adult. He recognized our talents, our hearts, and our place in the body of Christ. There is no doubt in my mind that I am in ministry today, because of his influence. When I was in 9th grade, I told my mom that I wanted Beth’s job. I wanted to BE them. And now, as I sit in my own church office, I am humbled to have such a huge responsibility.

See, the things we focus on so often, are not the things that matter. The memories I hold the most dear, and the things that influenced me the most through Simeon’s life were not the musicals, choir practices, events or programs. The things that I remember are sitting in his office while he wrestled with me while I sought to find God’s will. I remember sitting in the backseat of his car, with he and Beth up front, while they prayed with me about making a huge, life-changing decision. I remember him singing to my grandmother in the hospital while she struggled with cancer. I remember vividly how terrified I was the first time I sang a solo, because he encouraged me to do it. And I remember him standing up to boys when they were less than respectful to us girls. He taught me that I mattered, that I was important to him, and that I was important to God. He taught me that my service mattered, and that God wanted nothing but 100% surrender.

And here, in his death, God is still using him to affect lives. I can barely comprehend the lessons I am learning about ministry, because I still can’t quite comprehend the impact that Simeon’s life has left. How does one man change so many lives? By one word: surrender. Simeon surrendered his life to God’s purposes. And day by day, step by step, person by person, God touched his people through Simeon. Wow. What a legacy. And what big shoes to fill.

For those of us still in shock, and are asking why, I found some comfort in these lyrics this morning:

You Knew
Erin O’Donnell
Something’s tearing open in the atmosphere
A hurting that can never come undone
Someone who was here is now gone for good
And I am wondering how to carry on
But you are not surprised
You are not afraid of what I can’t get my head around
You were standing by and...

Chorus:
You knew what the future held
That now’s the time I have to face the thing I fear the most
And you knew that life would knock me down
But you would break my fall and get me tothe place where I could say
That although I can’t see what you do, you knew

The sky is black and time feels like it’s standing still
And I don’t think I want to see the world
All I have to lean on is what You have done
But sometimes that feels like another life
‘Cause you are not a man
That I might know your mind or how it is you’re changing me
It’s hard to understand that...

Chorus

This is not the end
You don’t leave a single thing undone
My comfort is in knowing
you knew

No comments:

Post a Comment