Well, if it seems as if Jason and I fell off the face of the earth for the past year, it’s because we kinda have! It was an unintentional sabbatical, however we believe it was a time that was completely ordained by God. I don’t think Jason or I would have ever guessed we would be spending every day at home together our entire first year of marriage, but that’s exactly what happened! What a blessing to have essentially a yearlong honeymoon!
Last year when I resigned from Hebron, I had no idea I was embarking on a full year of unemployment. Jason and I both expected me to move out to Texas, spend a few weeks setting up house, and then when we were ready, I would start work. Easy as that. But it wasn’t as easy as that. I applied for jobs, sent in resumes, went on interviews. And door after door closed, some by my choosing, and some by theirs. But one thing was certain – Jason and I both had complete peace when those doors closed, even if I was itching to get back to work. Complete peace, but also bewilderment. “God, don’t you WANT me to work? I have all of this time on my hands – why would you want me to just stay HOME?”
I was grateful to have the opportunity to substitute teach K-12 grade at a private Christian school, and I absolutely loved it! For a few days a week I was able to get out, interact with other adults AND have a chance to work with students. It was perfect as I continued searching for a full time position.
But the Lord, in his Sovereign ways knows what is best for us, and while I never would have thought so, not working this year was actually better for me, and better for our marriage. You see, Jason works from home 4 days a week; which means we are together 24/7 every day except for Monday. On Mondays we are only together for 17 hours. =) Going from seeing each other twice a month to ALL the time could have been disastrous, however it has been great. We have spent so much time together this year, it’s almost as if we have had YEARS of time together concentrated into one short year. Since we got married later in life, it’s as if God has allowed us time to “catch up” on all the time we’ve been apart. So without a doubt, this year has been a blessing to us both.
So much of a blessing, that now that I am entertaining new job opportunities, Jason and I both are a little sad to leave behind this stage in our life. I have enjoyed the freedom of pursuing all kinds of fun domestic hobbies, and let’s be honest: I think Jason has enjoyed having someone available to him anytime, any day. =)
I have included a couple of pictures of our “offices” from this year. I enjoyed spending some time at the pool at our gym, and Jason enjoyed being able to “multi-task” whenever there was a golf tournament on!
And that, my friends, is what we’ve been up to this year. Learning to be a husband and a wife. Learning to live together. Learning more about the Lord, and how we can be a part of his story. We don’t have that last one figured out just yet, but we’re seeking it out. But one thing we are certain of, he will use the things we have learned this year to be a foundation for the things to come.
So hopefully you will see us more from now on. Because while we are blessed to have had a year focusing only on each other, let’s be real: it’s time to get out of the house. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment