Saturday, October 3, 2009

Waffle Day Fail



One of my dear friends Karen, gave Jason and me a waffle maker for our wedding. She encouraged us with a sweet note detailing a wonderful tradition that she and her Jason have established for their family: Waffle Saturdays.
Well, being the eager newlyweds, Jason and I decided on our first Saturday in Grapevine to establish our very own Waffle Saturday. So, the night before, I looked up all sorts of great waffle recipes to make them by scratch. I checked off all the ingredients, except flour, which I knew we had. Went to bed, excited what the next morning would hold.
I woke up, leaving Jason in bed, to begin the waffle making. It was soon that I realized we did NOT, in fact, have flour. So I threw on some clothes, went to the grocery store, bought the flour and resumed the waffle making.
By now I was a little surprised the Jason was still in bed, but glad he was getting some rest. I continued the preparations, and tried out my first ever waffle. Hmmm. “This doesn’t seem right.” Batter dripped all over the counter, into the waffle maker, and smoke poured out. Following the directions, I left the waffle maker shut until the green light came on. And UGGGHHH. What a mess. Crispy waffle pieces stuck to both sides of the maker. (Who knew you have to spray a non-stick waffle maker with Pam before you poured in the batter???)
Now thoroughly frustrated that Waffle Day wasn’t as fun as I expected it to be, I went to wake Jason up. Imagine my surprise that he was awake and on the computer!! Now, not only was frustrated with waffles, I was frustrated that my dear, loving husband was on the computer as I struggled with the evil waffles. Of course, he had no idea what was going on in the kitchen; it was, after all, super early for a Saturday morning.
So returning to the kitchen with my husband, we tackled the waffle maker together. And after cooking a bowl full of batter, we had 1 waffle, and several plates full of waffle crumbs. But when that first waffle came out actually looking like a waffle, we CELEBRATED!! Cheers and high fives and lots of smiles. That Waffle Iron would not defeat US!! And as I watched my sweet husband eat a plate full of waffle crumbs, I thought, THIS is what marriage is all about. I had to give up what I THOUGHT Waffle Day should be to enjoy what it was.
I know we will have many more challenges to face together, no doubt more serious than waffle making. But the way we handle these little issues are a training ground for how we will deal with the bigger ones that come our way.
I am happy to report that we have, in fact, established our very own Waffle Tradition. Every Sunday night we have Breakfast for dinner, and we break out the Waffle Iron. We also picked up another valuable tip from Karen and Jason to help make Waffle night even better: Waffle Mix. Who knew waffles could be so easy???

No comments:

Post a Comment