Sundays are an important day in our home. While we’re not completely consistent yet, our desire is to make Sundays, the Sabbath, the most important day of the week by preparing our home, our hearts and our minds for it. I always thought “keeping the Sabbath holy” meant going to church. And while that’s a part of it, going to church does not automatically mean you are setting that day apart to be different than all the other days. After some reading, I became convicted that I really wasn’t treating Sundays any differently, and my heart was certainly not changed because of it. If the extent of my “Sabbath” includes only attending church, then I am leaving my heart change up to a pastor, a praise team or a Sunday School teacher.
I began reading how Jewish families celebrate the Sabbath. They clean their home, prepare their meals, gather books and games, and by sundown Friday night they are ready to unplug from life, to remember the God they serve. This is such a beautiful and different approach to life; even different than our approach to church. Getting ready for church in most homes is no different than getting ready for work or school, except with nicer clothes (which for families with kids means even more stress!). Jason and I decided for as much as we are able, to make Sundays truly a day of rest and remembrance. I have come to enjoy scurrying around on Saturday picking up the house, putting dinner in the crockpot, setting the table and picking out my clothes. But even better is getting home after church and having dinner ready and smelling wonderful! We use our nice dishes, and enjoy a slow, leisurely meal together.
Sundays also mean that we are either watching a football game or golf tournament. Because I live with a true Texan, when the Cowboys are playing there is even more excitement in the air! So when the Cowboys were in a playoff game which would either advance them to the Super Bowl or be their last game of the season, I wanted to make the day a little bit special for Jason. I pulled out his beloved Texas flag plates, and all the TX accessories that he insisted we register for when we married. =) Even though the boys lost, it was exciting watching the game together while we cheered for them in our own, cheesy way.
When we aren’t watching sports, we are reading or talking or napping, or I’m working on a craft. It’s nice to rest together, knowing we are recharging our batteries for what the Lord has in store for the rest of the week. And an unexpected benefit has come out of being more intentional on the Sabbath: I have found that on days we prepare ahead, going to church feels more like a privilege, rather than an obligation. I hope that God continues teaching us how to keep the Sabbath holy, and that in spite of growing commitments and family we insist on keeping this day special.
No comments:
Post a Comment