Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Couch and De-Bachelorization.



When I first visited Jason at his home while we were dating, there were several things that stood out to me about his home. First of all, I was quite impressed with how clean it was, for a bachelor pad. He took care of his things and his home, and that brought me comfort. It was quite bare, which wasn’t necessarily a problem: it was like a blank canvas just waiting for a woman’s touch.
But I found some things hilarious. And a little troubling. When you walked into Jason’s house, you knew what his passions were: Baylor, Golf and Texas. Especially Texas. The Texas flag adorned everything: dishes, towels, sheets, blankets, even a phone! And the STARS!! On the walls, on lamps, on vases! If there was anything ever made with a TX flag or the TX star on it, you can bet someone gifted it to Jason. And it was proudly displayed in his version of “decorating.”
But what was especially troubling was The Couch. A giant, gray, leftover sofa from the early 90’s. Maybe even the 80’s. Heather Gray with dusty rose flowers. Ick. But Jason LOOOOVES that couch. He bought it at a garage sale 10 years ago, and claims it is the most comfortable couch to nap on, and insisted it needed to stay. Well, after some discussion, we both realized there wasn’t room for the couch, and once I moved in it would have to go.
Fast forward to me actually moving in. We placed an ad for the couch on Craig’s list, and after reducing the price several times, we still couldn’t get rid of it. So the day came when our bedroom furniture was being delivered, and we knew the couch would have to go. And oh what a sad day in the Owens’ household it was. My poor, sweet husband GRIEVED the day we moved that couch to the garage.
Well, one lovely October afternoon, it was especially beautiful outside. And Jason really wanted to enjoy the outdoors, but had to work. So he took his computer outside to his beloved couch, and worked from the garage! I couldn’t resist a picture.
I’m sad to report that after re-arranging my hubby’s office, we were able to make room again for the awful couch. So now the room is a tribute to Baylor, Golf and Heather Gray and Dusty Rose. Beautiful. But it’s his office, so as long as he’s happy... ;D
The couch wasn’t the only item that we had to get rid of. One thing I noticed about the Bachelor Pad was all of the window treatment hardware. No, not window treatments. Just the hardware. On every window were brackets, rods or circular swag holders. When I asked why, I was told it was “decorative!” Of course. (We now have window treatments to cover all of the hardware.)
One afternoon Jason saw that I was taking pictures around the house. He smiled and said, “oh, are you sending these to your parents?” I said, “no, I’m putting them up on Craigslist.” Haha.
The pantry was an experience all by itself. I have never seen SOOO many paper goods. My guess was that any time Jason or Todd hosted an event, they instructed all of their guests to bring paper goods. So now we have more cups, plates and plasticware to keep a family of 10 in business for a year. I tried to rid our space of them, but was told, “No! We might need them for a party sometime!” More like 100 parties.
As we cleaned out the pantry and the refrigerator, we discovered another area of disagreement: the expiration date. I’m a firm believer that if something is in the least bit sketchy, or significantly passed the expiration date, then it should go. Jason, however, believes that we should keep it around “just in case we need it.” He gave me free reign, though, to clean house, and I was enjoying throwing boxes and jars of old food away. As I was throwing away a box of Ritz Crackers, he walked into the kitchen and cried, “No!! I still eat those!”
“Umm, babe, these expired in 2004.”
“Huh. Time really flies.”
As we laughed, Jason realized that these crackers actually MOVED WITH HIM from his last apartment. Wow.
The value of items is actually a very interesting discussion in our marriage. And while I make fun of him often for holding on the things that have long since lost their value, he has taught me a lot about the sentimental and historical value of the items that we have. He very much believes in preserving things in their original state: not painting or altering wood, bricks or furniture just because we might like it better. Whereas when I see an ugly piece of furniture, I am all about changing it to make it more ascetically pleasing. But Jason sees the value in an item that actually goes below the surface. It’s a simple lesson, but one that has actually helped me to appreciate the things around me, instead of longing for the things that aren’t.
Now, don’t worry; I’m still pressing on with determination to de-bachelorize this home. With the full blessing of my husband, we have corralled the Texas flags and stars to one area of the house, and ridded our kitchen of ALL expired groceries. My next project is to replace the hideous garage sale coffee table that is being used as a TV stand. Keep your eye on Craigslist; we’ll be making new postings very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment