I believe that Satan is getting more and more crafty in luring our kids into sin. Our spiritual enemy is using the accessibility of porn and inappropriate material to wreak havoc on our children. Women are being objectified at a much younger age, and unfortunately we need to protect our daughters from the fallout that this over-sexualization causes. One such effect is a skewed view of their relationships with men. In times past women attracted men with their beauty, their character, and their domestic skills. They were taught that these were noble qualities that they should strive to obtain. After the feminist revolution independence, education, ambition and a high paying career replaced the domestic virtues of the past. Today, I believe that our culture is teaching us and our boys and girls that "being sexy" is the most important quality that a woman can possess.
If our girls continue to believe this lie, and are willing to live it out in their dating relationships, God help us when these children are old enough to be moms and dads. Where is real love? Where’s commitment? Where’s family? As long as we allow our girls to be “sexified”, we are setting both our young women AND our young men up for a very ugly fall.
SO, although it’s difficult to see how a few of us can change our schools, the media, the world…we CAN begin to take a stand. The church has been silent too long. It only takes a moment to walk through our Midweek worship to recognize that if we can’t change the world right away, we have plenty of work to do here at Hebron.
This urgency is from a heart of love, not disgust, anger, or fear. It’s from knowing what it feels like to be deceived. It comes from a heart that has been broken and trampled on, yet one that God has amazingly healed! It comes from knowing the disgusting darkness of sin, AND the beauty of walking in the light! And I want my girls to walk in the light!!! We must get in the lives of our girls because we LOVE them and want God to do amazing things in their lives, and because we want to keep them from falling for some of the same deceptions that we ourselves fell for.
“He feeds on ashes, a deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself, or say, “Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?” Isaiah 44:20
How many of our girls are walking around “eating ashes” – digesting the empty philosophies of this world – yet no one is telling them that it is a lie? I believe that girls are CRYING out for us to tell them, because they themselves are not strong enough, yet, to admit it. They hope it’s a lie, they think it’s a lie, but they just DON’T KNOW.
Like I said, over the last few weeks I’ve been begging God, what can we DO?? I was looking for him to give me a new program, or a new idea that we could organize and coordinate to pair adult women up with girls, etc, etc. But the answer instead came from my sister! Here’s what happened: She went home this weekend, and as she was leaving she was going on and on about going to lunch on Sunday with my mom, Leigh, Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Lucas and several more. These are women from our home church who are involved in her life. They have never sat down and done a Bible Study with Caleigh, or even formally said “I want to mentor you.” But they invested in her life. They got in her business!! And that’s the answer: we need to get nosy!!! “Minding your own business” (like our society holds it) today is not in scripture! We are so afraid of getting in each other’s business, that we don’t know each other!!
Now, this is not a banner for gossip! I’m not suggesting we start talking about each other, because Cammi said we should!! I’m saying let’s get to know each other. Let’s join together as moms and adults to teach these girls how to love their future families. Let’s teach them the sweetness of communion, and godly friendships. Let’s open our hearts and our homes for these girls to find wisdom and advice on living a life that glorifies God! NOT a bible study, but a WAY OF LIFE. Wouldn’t it be beautiful if we could give our girls such a solid foundation that when they are forced to make tough decisions, they know that Mrs. Austin, Mrs. Andre, Mrs. Holland are going to be all up in their business, and even if they don’t feel like listening to mom, I guarantee you they’ll listen to these other voices.
Psalm 34:4 says, “those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered in shame.” This is one of my favorite verses, because it means that no matter what I’ve done, no matter what Satan tries to throw in my way, as long as I am looking to my God my face will be RADIANT. I think I’ll do it God’s way from now on. Who knows – it may even save me some serious pain and cash from a facelift in the future!
I think this is right on. One lady who was most influential in my life while I was in college, and probably kept me from making tons of mistake then, was not someone from church or a Bible study but a lady in the Student Activity office that sort of "adopted" me. And even now the "older" ladies I learn most from aren't necessarly while in Bible study, but the times we meet for coffee before or after, or just for fun.
ReplyDelete