Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Random Musings...

We so enjoyed our time in Florida…all of it! 23 days to be exact! That’s right…TWENTY-THREE days. Here is a rundown of our activities:

• 40+ Hours in the car

• 1 Birth

• 1 Birthday (Gabriel turned 9!)

• 1Trip to the river

• Several trips to the pool

• 1 Memorial Service for a sweet boy

• 1 Dance party, complete with glow sticks

• 1 Shopping trip with the girls (Consignment shopping…my favorite!)

• 1 Million wii tournaments

• 1 Pedicure with mom

• 3 Movies

• 1 Audiobook listened to

• 4 Books read

• 1 Swim meet with the cousins

• 20+ family meals

• 4 Glazed donuts from The Donut Shop

• 1 Detour to Panama City for lunch with the Taylors

And it might seem unbelievable, but Jason and I pulled into Grapevine still smiling, and still liking one another! I know, I know... we were just as shocked as you are. I tell you what, marrying that man is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!

As much as we enjoyed being in Jacksonville, we are so glad to be home. There is just something about waking up in your own bed, in your own space, with your own routine. This morning we enjoyed a little walk/jog around the neighborhood, and then I clipped coupons, made the grocery list and went shopping. No, not grocery shopping…consignment shopping! It’s my new passion. We have three wonderful consignment shops in Grapevine, and I find something almost everytime I go. Lest you think I am only collecting junk, I have an ongoing list of household items that we need for either decoration or storage. So I actually have a goal in mind, and it’s been SO fun sprucing up our home with my great finds! In the last 2 months, I have found:

• A desk/craft/sewing table for me ($15)

• 4 beautiful lamps ($9 each)

• A lovely tablecloth that matches my dining room perfectly ($2)

• A shelf system to hang over my desk ($10)

• A set of 2 tree pictures for our foyer ($7 for both)

• Several baskets and bins for organizing

I’ve been amazed at the difference such simple changes can make in our home! We made most of the changes right before we went to Florida, and when we got home it was a breath of fresh air to see our stuff organized and purposefully set. Our most favorite makeover happened in the closet in Jason’s office. Seriously, I just stood at the door and gazed at the beautifulness for several minutes yesterday. It makes my heart happy. I think I might move in there.

Some other changes:

• Created a workspace for me in our bedroom

• Painted and re-organized our kitchen pantry

• Created storage space for every book, magazine and paper in our house. And boy does that make a huge difference!

• Redecorated our hallway. I think the pictures speak for themselves.  Look beyond the kids and the TV to the hallway...The stars are gone!








Another fun endeavor I am trying is to replace my more expensive skin and hair care routines with natural and organic products. I have been washing my hair with baking soda and vinegar (as described by Simple Mom) and washing my face with Castor Oil and EVOO. We’ll see how that goes after a week!

Jason and I started the Couch to 5K program today, in hopes of running one together at the end of September. Day 1 was rough for me today…I overestimated myself and thought we could start on Week 2. Ugh. Tomorrow I go back to Day 1, Week 1.

So that’s what’s going on in Grapevine, Texas! Coupon clipping, consignment shopping, organic products…sometimes I think I am just a shadow of my former self. =)  Oh, but I wouldn't change a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment