Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Brown Rice Pilaf

I don't like rice mixes that add a lot of sodium, preservatives and MSG. I wanted a recipe for brown rice that was tasteful without a lot of the extras. I came across a variation of this recipe online, and tried it tonight, and we loved it!!

1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp onion, diced*
1 tbsp green pepper, diced*
1 can of chicken broth** (plus a little water to make 2 cups of liquid)
1 cup brown rice
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Saute onions and peppers in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add rice, and stir fry for about 5 minutes. Add broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, turn to "low," cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.

Tips:
*I keep bags of frozen onions and peppers in the freezer, for recipes that call for small amounts like this. It's so easy, and just as nutritious.
**I used low sodium, fat free chicken broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment