Thursday, October 1, 2009

Grapevine Homecoming



Cody came into town this weekend for the Grapevine Homecoming Game, and Jason and I decided to make one of our first appearances out as “husband and wife.” We had a great time! I enjoyed catching up with Cody, and also learning about these insane football rituals here in TX. The dance team (I don’t remember what they are called, but apparently every school in TX has one), the out of control school spirit, and oh my, the mums. The gigantic, ridiculously HUGE mums. Apparently, instead of corsages at the dance, boys in TX give girls massive mums on the day of the game as a gesture of interest. Well, they are CALLED mums, but really they are lots of mums glued onto cardboard with streamers, bows, sashes, and lights. Yes, I said lights. These monstrosities are tied around the girls necks because they are too big to pin onto a blouse. Absolutely ridiculous. But what brought even more enjoyment for me were the armband mums the girls gave to the guys. Fashioned like a garter, they guys wore them over their shirts. Again, the flowers were huge, and the ribbons, streamers and bows made me either shameful for these boys, or else really proud that they were taking part in such a celebrated tradition. It was funny, and yes, a little out of control, but I have to admit: it did my heart good to see teenagers participating in a fun tradition, and making it special. We don’t have enough of that in our world anymore. So I applaud these guys for playing along, and choosing to enjoy this special time in their life. And as much as I give Jason a hard time for the school and state spirit here, it is nice to see younger generations treasure things for the sake of sentiment. But I will NOT be wearing a mum any time soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment