Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Serving or Sitting?

Well, God always knows exactly what we need, doesn't He? I have to admit I've been tired this week. I've been reading the Word, listening to inspiring praise choruses trying to get "excited" again about the things God is up to. And although those things are good, I found my answer this morning while reading "A Young Woman's Walk With God" and "A Young Woman After God's Own Heart." Its so cool how God can take one simple phrase and change everything. The phrase that jumped off the page and into my heart comes from John 15:4-5. "Abide in me." That's it. Just hang out with me. Stop "doing stuff" and just rest in His presence. When I get tired I tend to pull away from everyone - including God, and do things on my own. That's my fleshly nature coming out. But John 15:4-5 tells me why that doesn't work: when a branch is separated from the vine, it withers up and dies! It doesn't bear any fruit - it doesn't even LIVE!

No wonder I get uptight, frustrated, worried and flustered when I am doing things in my own power - there is no life there!

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:38-42)
When I am not abiding in Christ, I find the first thing that happens is that I get worried and upset much easier! I worry about my family members, I get upset when others aren't behaving like I think they should, I get my feelings hurt easier, etc., etc. You get the picture. God calls me to be more like Mary, who "sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said" Luke 10:39. So I asked the Lord this morning, "How can I better listen to you? How can I sit at your feet all during my day?" The first question that came to my mind, that I am going to ask you as well, is "Are you too overcommitted?" Are you involved in too many activities that you can't say no to? Cheerleading, Basketball, Softball, piano, drama, chorus, after school clubs, babysitting, jobs, practice, games, tournaments, the list goes on and on.
We may need to plan ahead...way ahead. At the beginning of the semester or even at the beginning of the year, as we prepare to commit to certain activities, look at your schedule and ask, "am I too busy?" Do you you have activities scheduled every day? Will you have practice/games/work on Sundays and Wednesdays? Are you able to attend DiscipleNow or Camp, or will it be determined by winning a tournament?
So here's the deal. This was a huge lesson for me this morning, and I had to reevaluate my schedule and commitments, to make sure I am not too busy to sit at my Savior's feet. "In all your ways acknowledge HIm and he will make your paths straight" Proverbs 3:6.
I need to STOP and ACKNOWLEDGE God along the way. Then, He will direct my path, and make it straight!!
I love this (from Elizabeth George):
"Am I busily 'serving' Jesus...or sitting at His feet? Am I lashing out at others...or am I listening to my Savior? Am I worrying about life...or am I worshipping the Lord? Am I restless...or am I resting in God?"
What my goal in life? I have to tell you that I struggled for years with "who" I wanted to be. Did I want to be a perfect wife and mother? A busy career woman? A straight-A student? A Professional counselor? In ministry? A social butterfly? All of these things are good, but when all is said and done, I want to be a woman who seeks after Jesus with everything she is. If that means that some of these things get sacrificed in the process, then so be it.
Who do you want to be? What are you investing the majority of your time in? Sports? Music? Grades? Getting into the perfect college? Getting the perfect boyfriend? Your beauty? Your physical appearance? Your weight? Your friends?
Let's be women who are passionate about knowing God and His Word. I am excited to serve Him, but more importantly excited about sitting at His feet with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment